Terms and conditions
At Virgin Media, we look after your details carefully. We adhere strictly to the requirements of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and we're also registered on the public register of data controllers which is looked after by the Information Commissioner.
Information we collect
This is what we normally collect about you to help us provide you with our services, and improve them even more, where we can:
- Name, address, email, telephone number, payment details and service details;
- Information collected using cookies stored on your device(s) about your use of our online services and third party online services;
- Information about your use of Virgin Media services, including call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data;
- Other data, from time to time, to help us provide you with improved products and services, for example now and again we might ask you to fill in a questionnaire, just so you can let us know how we're doing.
For our TiVo TV service:
Information about your usage and viewing, for example:
- The types of programmes you watch;
- How you use the television services, e.g. pausing, fast-forwarding or rewinding programmes;
- Whether you save programmes to watch later;
- Whether you tend to skip the adverts, watch programmes on demand and your purchasing preferences for example, responding to advertisements or promotions.
We may supplement the information that we collect from you and about your use of the services with information that we receive from third parties. This may include, for example, data we collect from other members of your household or information we receive from content providers (for example, information about your use of BBC iPlayer via our TiVo service so that we can personalise your TiVo service and recommend programmes you might like).
Using your information
Collecting this information helps us better understand what you need from us. We use it to offer you products and services that we think will suit you down to the ground and attempt to improve your browsing and shopping experience with us. The main uses of your data are:
- To help provide your services;
- To provide you with service information and updates;
- To provide access to privileged areas of our online services;
- To administer contests and competitions and personalise your visits to our online services;
- To enable us to review, develop and improve our products, services and special offers;
- To occasionally carry out market research;
- To profile your usage and viewing;
- To personalise your experience of the TiVo service based on your usage and viewing profile for example, recommending programmes you might enjoy, or tailoring advertising contained within our services so that it corresponds with your likely interests. We will not, however, use information about your use of BBC iPlayer on our TiVo service to personalise or tailor advertising;
- To send you details of products, services, special offers and rewards that we think will be of interest to you. However, we hate junk mail as much as you do so it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to receive this information;
- To improve and develop the services.
When you apply for or use Virgin Media's products and services, you agree to Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions. Our Terms and Conditions set out the purposes for which Virgin Media may use your personal information, and to whom it may be disclosed. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for full details.
Where you use Virgin Media's Online Movie Service, which is provided by FilmFlex Movies Limited on our behalf, you agree to FilmFlex's terms and conditions which set out the purposes for which Virgin Media and FilmFlex may use your personal information. Please refer to FilmFlex's Terms and Conditions.
Disclosing your information
Here's when we may provide information about you:
- To employees and agents of Virgin Media to deal with any accounts, products and services provided to you by Virgin Media or our group companies now or in the future.
- With your agreement, to other Virgin companies (e.g. Virgin Atlantic), whose products and services may be of interest to you.
- To search the files of a credit reference agency, which will keep a record of that search, when you apply for service. Additionally, details of how you conduct your account may also be disclosed to the agency. This information may be used by other organisations in assessing applications from you and members of your household.
- We may use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring usage of our services in order to help us develop our services, and may provide such aggregate information to third parties, for example, content partners and advertisers. These statistics do not include information that can be used to identify any individual.
We will not pass on your personal information to third parties except in accordance with this policy and our Terms and Conditions or where we are required to disclose that information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements.
Protecting your information
Any information sent to us is protected using robust security methods. The methods we use are industry-standard ensuring data is safeguarded whilst being sent over unprotected communications paths such as the internet. When it reaches us, we store it securely and only provide access to it by those authorised. Although we safeguard your personal information once received, Virgin Media cannot guarantee the safety of any personal information you transmit to us using online methods.
We will never ask you for your Virgin Media identification, authentication passwords or PIN numbers directly associated with your Virgin Media account in any unsolicited phone calls or unsolicited emails. In accordance with our Terms and Conditions, you are responsible for keeping your password and PIN secure and we very strongly recommend you do not disclose them to anyone (unless you wish to authorise them to access your account and potentially incur charges on your account).
Accessing your information
You're welcome to ask us what information we have about you, any time you like. If you need us to send it to you, it'll cost £10 - that covers the cost of our administration. If any of the details are incorrect, let us know and we'll amend them right away. If you'd like us to send your information to you, you can write to our team at the address on the back of your bill, enclosing a cheque or postal order for £10 made payable to Virgin Media Payments Limited
Marketing our products and services
We will automatically contact you with regard to your services, for example, with updates to your services, service disruption messages or bill payments.
We may also, subject to your consent, use your personal information to contact you with information about special offers and rewards. Additionally, we may, subject to your consent, disclose your personal information to other Virgin companies so that they can contact you with information about their products and services. But don't worry, your details won't be shared with companies outside the Virgin group for marketing purposes without your consent.
If you have given us the consent referred to above, then from time to time, we may contact you by mail, telephone, email, other electronic messaging services (such as text, voice, sound or image messages including using automated calling systems) or fax with information about our products and services (including discounts and special offers).
If you wish to receive information and offers from us and you have not previously given us your consent, let us know by calling Customer Care or writing to us at PO Box 333, Virgin Media, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9BB.
If you're already receiving information about special offers and rewards from us then don't worry, you don't need to do anything. We'll assume that you're happy to continue receiving information unless we hear from you.
However if you no longer wish to receive such information from us, please let us know by calling Customer Care or writing to us at PO Box 333, Virgin Media, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9BB. Remember that if you say you do not wish to receive any promotional material from us, this will preclude you from receiving any of our special offers or promotions which may be of interest to you and we will not share your information with other Virgin companies for them to market to you. You can opt out of receiving marketing information from other Virgin companies at any time by contacting them directly.
Links from this site to other sites
Please be aware that our site may provide access to other web sites by linking to them. We are not responsible for the data policies (including data protection and cookies), content or security of these linked websites.
For queries regarding Virgin Media's services, please call our team on 0845 454 1111 or dial 150 from a Virgin Media phone line.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information you should write to the address below:
Data Protection & Privacy
Bartley Wood Business Park