Terms & Conditions
Please read these Terms and Conditions in full so you understand what's covered and what's not. The terms 'we', 'our' and 'us' means Asurion (the policy administrator) and Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Limited (the insurer).
A. Your cover
Virgin Media Protect is designed to offer your phone worldwide protection against:
- Accidental damage (including liquid damage)
- Malicious damage
- Pet damage
- Out of warranty breakdown
You can buy Virgin Media Protect when buying or upgrading your phone with Virgin Media and you'll be covered as soon as the phone is in your hands. You're covered whilst travelling and when you lend your phone to family or friends. Your policy is paid monthly in advance by separate direct debit. We'll need to collect your first month's premium before any claim can be completed. Cover automatically renews monthly for up to 60 months.
||Claim Excess Fee
We'll tell you what it costs to cover your phone when you buy it, based on its make, model and value. We'll also confirm your monthly premium and excess fee in your policy Welcome Pack.
B. What's not covered
We do not offer 'new for old' cover, which means your replacement phone may be refurbished to our standard (using original or non-original parts). It's important you understand that you're not covered for:
- Any phone other than one purchased from Virgin Media or replaced by us.
- Any claim if your Virgin Media mobile contract or Virgin Media Protect policy is in arrears.
- The excess fee you have to pay to complete a successful claim.
- A third claim or subsequent claims made within a 12-month period. We'll cancel your Virgin Media Protect policy after two successful claims in any 12 months from the date you start your first successful claim.
- Any incident where you knowingly take a risk that leads to the loss of, or damage to, your phone. For example, you balance your phone on the side of the bath, throw it for someone to catch or intentionally leave it unattended. If you choose to leave it unattended, you must lock it securely out of sight.
- Any unauthorised calls, data usage or downloads made on a missing phone.
- Accessory-only claims and accessories other than the battery, mains charger and hands-free kit that came with the phone.
- Cosmetic damage and damage caused by wear and tear, cleaning, adjustment or repair or acting against manufacturer guidelines.
- The cost of any repairs to your phone unless we instruct the repair.
- Any fault that happens within the manufacturer’s warranty period.
- Any malicious or deliberate damage caused by you or somebody you have authorised to use your phone.
- Any veterinary costs if your pet needs treatment after damaging your phone.
- Any indirect losses from the claim incident, which means any consequences you face as a result of being without your phone.
- Loss or corruption of any kind of software or digital content other than standard manufacturer software.
- Confiscation of your phone by a finance company or government agency (such as the police).
- Any fraudulent claim.
C. Making a claim
- For lost or stolen phones, call Virgin Media immediately on 0345 6000 789* (+44 7953 967 967 from abroad) to block it against unauthorised use. Please report any stolen phone to the Police; you'll need a crime reference number to complete your claim
- Call our Virgin Media Protect team to make a claim within 30 days or discovering the incident or damage. Have a payment card ready to pay your claim excess fee. Once you've started a claim, you have 30 days to complete it.
We guarantee next-day replacement for claims accepted before 7.30pm Monday to Friday and 2.30pm on Sundays. If we're late, let us know and we'll give you £20, credited to your bank account within 30 days. This excludes:
- Claims made or deliveries that fall on a Bank Holiday.
- Phones that are out of stock and no longer manufactured – if we can't send a same model replacement we'll offer you a phone with similar features and functionality.
- Any delivery outside of the Great Britain including deliveries to the Scottish Islands, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands.
- Any delay if you ask us to find a replacement phone of the same colour.
- Any delay caused by something outside our control like extreme weather, natural disaster, epidemic or crime.
Please make sure someone is in to sign for the delivery. Your replacement comes with:
- Our 6-month warranty on your replacement phone.
- The usual phone accessories, if yours were involved in the incident or we provide you with a different-model replacement.
- A prepaid envelope to return your damaged or faulty phone (minus your SIM card, battery and charger). As soon as we settle your claim, your damaged or faulty phone becomes property of the insurer and must be returned to us within 15 days of receiving your replacement. You must also comply with our reasonable instructions, such as disabling any app which prevents access to or removal of data from your damaged or faulty phone. Otherwise, we'll charge a non-return fee to the payment card used to pay your excess fee. Make sure to ask for proof of postage at the Post Office – this is free and will protect you if the phone goes missing in the post.
D. Cancelling your cover
You can cancel within the first 14 days and (if you haven't made a claim) we'll refund any premium paid. Otherwise, you can cancel at any time and cover will finish at the end of the paid-for period. We'll cancel your policy immediately if you fail to pay the monthly premium, have two successful claims in any 12-month period, upgrade your phone or cancel your contract with Virgin Media, or if we have any other good reason to cancel, such as fraud or if you don't comply with these Terms and Conditions.
E. How to complain
Please contact us to make a complaint about Virgin Media Protect. If we can't resolve your complaint right away, we'll email or write to you within five working days to outline our next steps. If it's still not resolved within two weeks, we'll contact you again to keep you up to speed on what's happening.
If you're not happy with the outcome of your complaint or we haven't given our final response within 8 weeks of you raising your complaint, you can get in touch with: The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR. They won't be able to help unless you've complained to us first. We are bound by any decision they reach. You'll need to contact them within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint. This won't affect your statutory rights or prejudice your right to take subsequent legal proceedings. You can find out more at financial-ombudsman.co.uk.
F. Who provides this cover
This insurance is administered by Asurion Europe Limited ("Asurion"), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (no. 502545), Registered in England and Wales with company number 6568029. Chiswick Place, 272 Gunnersbury Avenue, Chiswick, W4 5QB. The Insurer is Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Limited, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (no. 202205), registered address: Third Floor, 2 Minster Court, Mincing Lane, London, EC3R 7YE. Check the Financial Services Register at www.fsa.gov.uk/register/home.do or call 0800 111 6768.
Under European law, both parties may choose which law will apply to this contract. Unless we agree otherwise, Virgin Media Protect is governed by English law and all communication from us will be in English.
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). In the unlikely event that we can't meet our liabilities you may be entitled to compensation to a maximum of 90% of the claim under this scheme. Further info can be obtained from the FSCS on 0800 678 1100 or by going to fscs.org.uk.
G. Our use of your personal data
By taking this cover you confirm that you've given us accurate information about you and your phone and you've given us your permission to communicate policy information with you by phone, SMS, email or in writing using your given contact details.
In issuing and administering this policy, we will share your personal data with Virgin Media and other partner companies providing services under this policy. We may also share your personal data with Group companies and any third parties who are purchasers of all or part of Virgin Media or Asurion, and with organisations we use to monitor our performance, carry out research, create statistics, prevent or detect crime and other third parties to the extent required or permitted by law.
Whenever your personal information is shared with third parties, it will be done in accordance with all responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1998. This includes, for example, putting in place appropriate written terms to protect your personal information and ensuring any export of your personal information outside the European Economic Area is lawful in accordance with the Act. We will only use the personal information given by you to confirm your identity, administer your policy, contact you about your policy, process claims, carry out internal record-keeping, record claims details on relevant databases and registers for fraud detection purposes and contact the police to check any crime reference number you give us.
Asurion is registered with the Information Commissioners Office as a Data Controller (number Z2176995). By providing personal data to us (i.e. information which can identify you and relates to you, whether by itself or when used in conjunction with other information e.g. your name, policy number, telephone number and other contact details), we will necessarily assume that you expressly consent to this type of information being collected and used in the ways described above (subject to the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998) including for example for fraud prevention purposes and other requirements imposed by law or regulation. You have the right to see and correct any personal information held about you. A £10 administration fee may be charged for this. If you wish to see your personal information or have any questions about our use of your data, please contact us.
Your data may be transferred outside the European Economic Area (EEA) for the above purposes. If that happens, we’ll make sure it’s treated with the same level of protection as in the EEA. If you give us personal information about someone else, you are responsible for having their permission to do so and for telling them who we are and what their information will be used for. We will never sell or transfer your personal data to a third party unless we have your prior written consent, subject to the above and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
H. Changes to the policy
We may alter the premium or the excess for future periods of cover due to the overall cost of claims exceeding our reasonable estimate and we may alter the terms of the policy or cancel the policy based on our claims experience. If we make any such change we will give you at least 30 days' notice sent to the current contact details we have for you and you will be able to cancel your Policy if you are not happy with our changes.
0845 604 8846 is open 8am-9pm Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm at weekends (closed Bank Holidays). Calls will be charged at 4p/min from a BT line. Rates from other lines or mobile phones may vary. Details correct at time of print.
*Please note standard charges apply, please check with your network operator for rates.